So i’ve mainly seen Alan Moore throw around this method for figuring out how many words fit on a page or in a panel. He attributes it to Mort Weisenger, a former editor of DC Comics.
Basically it breaks down like this. He proposes that you can comfortably fit 210 words on a comics page without it looking too text heavy. So if you have a six panel grid you’ve got 35 words per panel.
I think this is a great tool for writing comics where it’s important to say as much as possible with as few words as possible as space is limited and the word/picture ration is important as far as being pleasing to the eye. Another way to put it: If it’s too long for a tweet it’s too long for a word balloon.
I keep a chart pinned up in my workspace that looks something like this:
While I find this a useful writing reference for tightening up wordy dialogue, I also find it’s a helpful reference for laying out collaborative comics pages.
If I’m have trouble figuring out a tricky layout where there’s a lot of dialogue I might do a quick word count to determine the panel size. Lots of words = bigger panels. Alternatively if I want more space for a visual I might do a word count for another panel to figure out how much space I can steal. So 52 words or so is a 1/4 page panel.13 words or so is a 1/16 page panel.
I tend to stick to more traditional page layouts with clearly defined borders and gutters so YMMV.
Also I don’t use this all the time because that just reduces everything to math which is boring but it’s a good tool to have in the box when space is an issue.
- dianasprinkle likes this
- ladyrd likes this
- kilomonster likes this
- planetbuilding likes this
- sadnessfactory reblogged this from ormessociety
- ourcenturyofugh likes this
- jadinerhine likes this
- scribblesonnapkins likes this
- iratescientist likes this
- mortalityplays likes this
- usthejuice likes this
- ormessociety reblogged this from dennisculver
- propheteka likes this
- ipgcomic likes this
- sketchyupdates reblogged this from danschkade
- strontiumlullaby reblogged this from dennisculver
- darthkrallt reblogged this from danschkade
- mamaspapa likes this
- scifithing likes this
- lizcoshow likes this
- khenarthi likes this
- danschkade reblogged this from dennisculver
- dirtyriver reblogged this from chrisroberson
- sophies-learning-journal reblogged this from jakeekiss
- rnfox likes this
- tomgastall likes this
- spacedakota reblogged this from seanewilliams
- aleksandersamuel likes this
- seanewilliams reblogged this from dennisculver and added:
- robochai likes this
- warmcoat likes this
- alchemichael likes this
- pizza-party likes this
- patrickrennie likes this
- patrickrennie reblogged this from chrisroberson
- querlvox likes this
- funwrecker reblogged this from dennisculver
- kirkvanlund likes this
- maryfoxfirebird reblogged this from dennisculver
- maryfoxfirebird likes this
- marieleaves likes this
- dgaffney reblogged this from chrisroberson and added:
- dgaffney likes this
- jakeekiss reblogged this from dennisculver
- jakeekiss likes this
- stavner likes this
- ersatzsuperman likes this
- batmanfights likes this
- teambeartrap reblogged this from dennisculver
- hughbot likes this